Finding the right car insurance can be an uphill struggle, so it’s worth knowing the brands that get great ratings both from their customers and from analysts who look at what each policy offers.
The quality of insurance – and service – varies greatly even within comprehensive policies. You’ll find different levels of personal accident cover or in the amount of time you can drive abroad in Europe while covered by your existing policy.
We’ve reviewed the ratings from independent sources to create our Finder list of the UK’s top 10 best car insurers. Our list reflects the quality of cover these brands offer as well as the feedback their customers give about their service.
Our Car Insurance Ranking
The Best Car Insurance Companies
- USAA: USAA is the best car insurance company we found. Customers report that they love USAA for its customer service, ease of filing a claim, and frequent updates on claim status. USAA customers also report that USAA is a good value, and USAA’s average annual rates are some of the lowest in the business. The only downside we could find to USAA is that its insurance products are only available to veterans, members of the military, and their immediate families, so not everyone will be able to work with the top-ranked insurance company.
- Travelers: Travelers is the second-best car insurance company. Travelers’ customers report that they appreciate the customer service Travelers provides, and the company gets high marks for how it resolves its customers’ claims. Travelers’ lost a few points from customers who didn’t feel like they got good value from the company, and Travelers’ average annual rates are a bit higher than average among all companies on this list.
- State Farm: State Farm is the third-best car insurance company, though its overall score is very close to second-place Travelers. State Farm gets high marks from its customers for ease of filing a claim, and many State Farm customers say they’re likely to renew their policy with the company. State Farm customers report being satisfied with the value they get from the company, and it’s no wonder they say that: State Farm rates are, on average, lower than most of the competition.
- Geico: Geico is the fourth-best car insurance company, and even a cave man can see why. Geico customers say it’s easy to file a claim with the company, though some were unhappy with status updates from the insurer. That said, most Geico customers would recommend it and plan to renew their policy. Their rates may have something to do with that: Geico offers lower rates on average than most other auto insurance companies.
- Farmers: Farmers is the No. 5 insurance company on our list. Farmers gets somewhat uneven ratings from its customers. It gets high marks for ease of filing a claim, customer service, and how claims are resolved but lower scores for value. That might be because Farmers’ rates, on average, tend to be higher than the competition.
- Nationwide: Nationwide is the sixth-best car insurance company. Nationwide’s customers are generally happy with the company’s customer service and how claims are resolved, but some don’t consider the company’s insurance a great value, and fewer would recommend Nationwide to someone looking for insurance than customers of other companies.
- Progressive: Flo, Progressive’s perky pitchwoman, might be No. 1 in the heart of advertisers, but Progressive is the No. 7 insurance company on our list. Progressive customers are satisfied with how easy it is to submit a claim to Progressive but are less positive about the company’s customer service, communication, claim resolution, and value.
- Allstate: Allstate is the eighth-best insurance company, with many Allstate customers in our survey reporting that they didn’t feel like they were in good hands. Allstate customers were particularly unhappy with the value they felt they got from Allstate, with many of them saying they wouldn’t recommend Allstate and didn’t plan to renew their policies.
- Liberty Mutual: Liberty Mutual ranks ninth out of the 10 insurance companies on our list. Liberty Mutual customers rated the company poorly for value, and many said they wouldn’t recommend the company and were not planning on renewing.
- American Family: American Family car insurance is the lowest-ranked company on our list. While a fair number of customers said filing a claim with American Family was easy, that was about the only positive thing they had to say, with the company faring poorly on measures of customer service, communication about claim status, value, and claim resolution.